Learning

Learning
Learning - Best done in groups

Sunday, June 7, 2015

EDIM 514 - The Seven Day Social Challenge

The Seven Day Social Challenge

For the first assignment this week, we had to complete a seven day social challenge.  We had to choices to complete this task.  I could have either taken a photo a day for seven days, or participate in a “Twitter” Challenge.  Heading into the last busy weeks of class, I chose the Twitter challenge.

My Twitter handle is @nbond11.  I discovered Twitter when I started my Instructional Media Graduate program.  What an awesome professional development tool this is.  It is sometimes difficult to find “likeminded” educators to share and work with in my own school division.  With a click of a button (and without leaving your house) you can find, follow, and connect with educators who have a similar mindset to you.  I follow teachers that are interested in educational technology and also science and math educators.

In one of the tweets I found this week, I found some new blogs to read and get information from.
This "Tweet" lead me to a blog by Ross Cooper.  I found some great information from http://www.teachinglikeits2999.com/  Jennie Magiera had some information on Google Classroom that was really interesting.  A teacher can now share their classroom with another teacher.  I am thinking of using this as my social network / class site next year.  

There was also a link on Jennie’s blog to a site to teach Coding.  I have an interest in learning how to help students “learn to code.”

I follow science posts as well.  This week I found an article that talks about “changing telescopes on the International Space Station to be fitted with a laser to blow up space junk.”  All I can say to this is “wow!”  There would be a lot of issues that could arise from this.

I have done some professional development at my school division on the benefits of Twitter as a form of professional development.  I think it just takes showing fellow teachers all of the “good stuff” out there to convert more teachers to Twitter.  I don’t think there is anything wrong with having a personal account and a professional account to keep your twitter feeds separate.  

After completing this seven day challenge, I will definitely continue to use Twitter as a professional development resource and share or “Tweet” the great resources I find.

References

Cooper, R. Blogs I follow. Blog. Retrieved from http://rosscoops31.com/2015/05/31/blogs-i-follow/

Google For Education. Teaching teams: new ways to work together in classroom. Blog.  Retrieved from http://googleforeducation.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/teaching-teams-new-ways-to-work.html

Magiera, J. Teaching like its 2999.  Blog. Retrieved from http://www.teachinglikeits2999.com/  


Venton, Danielle. (May 2015.) The mad plan to clean up space junk with a laser canon. Retrieved from http://ow.ly/NCdOg





No comments:

Post a Comment