Learning

Learning
Learning - Best done in groups

Sunday, June 7, 2015

EDIM 514 - Integrating Social Networking

This week’s major assignment is about taking an existing lesson and incorporating it into a “social networking” or web 2.0 tool.  I will take a lab that I had previously done in Science 10 and convert it to an assignment using Google Classroom for the Science 30 class I will be teaching in the fall.

According to the Science 30 Program of Study, my students will have to:

     - conduct investigations into relationships among observable variables and use a broad range of tools and techniques to gather and record data and information
     - measure resting heart rate and blood pressure and determine the effects of exercise on both factors  


I will have my students design and type of a lab on the effects of exercise on heart rate and blood pressure.  In the past, I made copies of my Scientific method outline and then shared it with groups of students.  My folders are pretty messy as a result of this.  In the fall I will use Google Classroom as my social networking site to send a copy to each student in an organized Google drive folder that is created for that class.  They will have to complete and type up the lab including creating appropriate graphs.  This is a picture of what the past assignment template looked like.

The link for this assignment is "Parts of an Investigation (Scientific Method)."

Here is a picture of “creating an assignment” in Google Classroom for my heart rate lab.


Google Classroom can also be used as a social networking site.  You can post assignments and comments.  Students can comment back to you if they have questions.  It is a closed site. 


The new part of this assignment (that ties to web 2.0) is that I will have my students create a word cloud of their lab.  I will create a single blank Google Document that each student can edit to paste their word cloud (which is created through a Google Chrome “free” app) into.  I will ask them to compare their lab word cloud to another group’s word cloud identifying similarities and differences.  The picture below is an example of a word cloud from a former Science 10’s complete lab on “Exercise and heart rate.”  I am thinking I might just have them do word clouds of their analysis, conclusion, and extension section.



Overall, I think my students will find this assignment challenging and engaging.  They are definitely going to gain technology and web 2.0 skills through this process.

I would mark the assignment the following way:

Marking Key
Question / Problem / Purpose               /1
Hypothesis / Prediction                        /2
Variables                                              /3
Materials                                              /2
Procedure                                             /4
Observations / Evidence                      /4
Analysis- Graph & Statement              /6
Conclusion                                           /3
Application                                          /1
Word Cloud Evaluation                       /4

Total                                                    /30

References

Google Classroom: Retrieved from https://classroom.google.com/h



No comments:

Post a Comment