Today I got to spend the day at Denapalooza (learning and networking with technology minded people) in Edmonton with my awesome friend and colleague, Lorna Hiemstra (@lhiemstra). I worked for a year with Lorna as a collaborative learning coach. She is a principal now and teaches at a small rural school in my school division.
I asked Lorna how she decided what technology tools she should use with her students. Very recently, she was looking at forensics activities to do with her science class. She used Alberta Core Resources and found an online activity which she shared with her students through Google Classroom. She also likes using Discovery Education resources. She is going to use a Board Builder tool in Discovery Education with her students next week.
The second question I asked her was what "obstacles" did she have to overcome in order to use the tools? She replied that both of the resource tools that she used were provincially approved and district approved so there wasn't really any obstacles. She did say that she had one student who could not remember his Google Classroom password.
Finally, I asked Lorna what advice she would give a teacher to help them replicate her efforts. She said she gets some good ideas from Twitter. She doesn't have the time for just "Googling" resources. She said to use resources that are already approved for your school division. Her final comment on the subject, which is so true, "we don't need to reinvent the wheel anymore." She feels that networking and learning from other people is so important.
Thank you Lorna for helping me complete my blog assignment.
References
Alberta Collaborative Online Resource Environment. Retrieved from: https://www.albertacore.ca/EQ-CORE-LDAPAuthentication/Welcome.jsp
Discovery Education. Retrieved from: http://www.discoveryeducation.ca/
Google Classroom. Retrieved from: https://classroom.google.com/h
No comments:
Post a Comment