Learning

Learning
Learning - Best done in groups

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

EDIM 514 - Fill Up Your Toolbox

This week’s  “Friday” assignment is called “Fill your toolbox.”  I am investigating a URL shortener called Ow.ly, a QR code generator called Delivr, and a bookmarklet tool called Quietube.

I have used URL shorteners in previous Wilkes’ classes, especially when creating and annotating images.  The only URL shortener I haven’t used on the list is Ow.ly.  This program is similar to goo.gl and tiny.url.  You are just asked to copy a URL you want to shorten and paste it into the program.  The interesting difference was there was a check if you were a human test in order to shorten the link.  I had to match a baseball to a bat and a tennis ball to a tennis racket.  I have shortened the URL to my school website to http://ow.ly/NayGH

The second assignment was to generate a QR code.  I have used the QR code reader on my phone to link to websites but this was the first time I created my own QR code.  My grade nine science class will be learning how to write the formulas of binary ionic compounds.  I found an online quiz to make as a QR code.  Once they complete the lesson on naming binary ionic compounds, I will have them complete this quiz and record the results as a formative assessment.  The website Delivr seems to be very user friendly.  I will have to think about how I can incorporate QR codes into all of my classes.  You were also allowed to create a shortened URL of the link in case a person does not have a QR reader on their mobile device.

The final tool I looked at this week was Quietube.  This is one great bookmarklet  I will start using daily.  You just drag the Quietube bar from http://quietube.com/ to your toolbar.  Once it is there and you find a YouTube video, you click on the Quietube icon in your toolbar and it opens up an adjusted view of the YouTube video.  You can then save that link onto a website for future reference.  

I found a YouTube video of the formation of an ionic compound (a concept I have to teach to my Science 9 class) and made a Quietube link to show my class when we watch the video.  The comment sections are removed and the “watch the next video” was removed which is a very good thing.  My classes always want to watch the next video.  Now using Quietube, they will not see the next video.  There are still some advertisements, from Vimeo and Google, but they are better than gun advertisements you see on YouTube.

References

Delivr. Retrieved from: http://delivr.com/
Ow.ly. Retrieved from: http://ow.ly/url/shorten-url
Quietube. Retrieved from: http://quietube.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment