Learning

Learning
Learning - Best done in groups

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Glog - Project 2 EDIM 508

For this project, I used the free web 2.0 tool glogster edu to make a "creation" that can be used in a science classroom.  I would use the glogster I created on “Investigating Wind” as an introduction to Alberta, Science 10 Unit D “Energy Flow in Global Systems.”  The outcome that this glog is designed for is:

-       describe, in general terms, how thermal energy is transferred through the atmosphere (i.e., global wind patterns, jet stream, Coriolis effect, weather systems)

I would start a class by asking three probing questions: 1. Why does the wind blow?  2.  What does the sun have to do with the wind?  3.  What factors affect the wind?  I would have my students fill out the first two columns of a KWL chart.  What do you know and what do you want to know relating wind to the sun.  As a class, we would fill out a large KWL chart on the smart board.  This is a pre-assessment activity.

I would then have my students work through the glog in pairs, making notes.  By working in pairs, they can synthesize and discuss information as they are visiting the links and video. 

Once they finished going through the glog, I would have them complete the Discovery Education “writing prompt” I created.  I would use this as a “post formative assessment” to check my students’ understanding of what makes the wind blow, how it’s related to the sun, and what factors affect the wind.  I would end the project by having students fill in the "learned" column of the KWL chart and having a class discussion of their "learned" results.

I am very excited about using this tool as a means of activating a student’s creative mind.  It is a very easy tool to work with.  I wanted to put a whole bunch of information in the glog, but soon realized that I had to narrow my scope.  This tool, unlike a prezi, has a finite canvas size.  It forces a person to be succinct in order to best utilize the space.  I liked the features (graphics, wall, links) that are included in the program.  I could see this being easily used by students to display their understanding of a concept.  Students would be very engaged creating a glog as well.

Investigating Wind Glog

No comments:

Post a Comment